Contact Virgo >
Virgo Marketing is fortunate to be celebrating a 10-year anniversary in 2007.
I hope you might enjoy some of my personal - often light-hearted - "top 10's" as we look toward the next decade:
- Ten tiny marketing communications tips
- Ten great pieces of classical music
- Ten great pieces of pop music
- Ten favourite films
- Ten favourite books
- Ten bad jokes
- In the news 10 years ago
- Ten quotes for life
- Ten lines of Tennyson
- When I was ten.
Ten tiny marketing communications tips
- Never assume someone has understood or actioned something- confirm actions by e-mail
- For events especially, the "devil's in the detail;" think beyond getting people into a room
- For events especially again, have a Plan B (weather/location/speakers)
- When writing, imagine how it will look on the page and get your word count to suit
- When in doubt, Google it
- People have often said it before - seek out effective quotes that will support your story (and make sure you have approval to use them!)
- Bargain with agencies on photo licensing - they generally expect you to do so
- Think about the bigger picture. The brochure looks great but is the reception its going in a mess?
- Remember: there's always a way.
Ten favourite pieces of classical music
- Tchaikovsky Pathetique; Romeo and Juliet; Eugene Onegin
- Barber Violin Concerto
- Barber Adagio for Strings
- Chopin b-moll Op. 9 Mo. 1 Larghetto
- Shostakovich Piano Concerto No. 2
- Mahler 4 th movement of 5 th symphony
- Filippa Giordano "Vissi d'arte"
- Film music: Out of Africa. Gladiator, The Last Samurai, Braveheart
- All Puccini especially Turandot
- Ruggero Leoncavallo, Pagliacci "Vesti la giubba"
Ten favourite pieces of pop music
- Michael McDonald "I can let go now"
- Stevie Wonder "Blame it on the Sun"
- Ella Fitzgerald "My funny Valentine"
- Rolling Stones "Mixed Emotions"
- Peter Gabriel "Salisbury Hill"
- Crowded House "Nails in my feet"
- David Gray "Hospital Food"
- Glenn Miller "Song of the Volga Boatmen"
- Joe Cocker "Now that the magic has gone"
- Sting "Whenever I say your name"
Ten favourite films
- On Golden Pond
- The English Patient
- The Prince of Tides
- It's a Wonderful Life
- Wallace & Gromit "Creature Comforts" (not strictly a film but..)
- A River Runs Through It
- Now, Voyager
Ten favourite books
- "The Power of Now" Eckhart Tolle
- "The Unheard Cry for Meaning" Viktor Frankl
- "Touching the Void" Joe Simpson
[and here's when I was fortunate enough to meet him]
- "The Journey of Desire" John Eldredge
- "After You'd Gone" Maggie O'Farrell
- "Wild Swans" Jung Chang
- "Enduring Love" Ian McEwan
- "The Earth from the Air: 365 Days"
- "Myself and other more important matters" Charles Handy
- "The Difference Maker" John C. Maxwell
Ten bad jokes
- Two aerials met on a roof, fell in love and got married. The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was excellent.
- A jumper lead walks into a bar. The bartender says, "I'll serve you, but don't start anything."
- Two peanuts walk into a bar, and one was a salted.
- A dysle xic man walks into a bra.
- A man walks into a bar with a slab of asphalt under his arm and says: "A beer please, and one for the road."
- Two cannibals are eating a clown. One says to the other: "Does this taste funny to you?"
- "Doc, I can't stop singing 'The Green, Green Grass of Home.'" "That sounds like Tom Jones Syndrome." "Is it common?" Well, "It's Not Unusual."
- An invisible man marries an invisible woman. The kids were nothing to look at either.
- Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.
- A woman has twins and gives them up for adoption. One of them goes to a family in Egypt and is named "Ahmal." The other goes to a family in Spain; they name him "Juan." Year's later; Juan sends a picture of himself to his birth mother. Upon receiving the picture, she tells her husband that she wishes she also had a picture of Ahmal. Her husband responds, "They're twins! If you've seen Juan, you've seen Ahmal."
Ten quotes for life
Inspiration from US career guidance guru William S. Frank on his page "The World's Best Quotes in 1-10 Words."
In the news 10 years ago
- Lone yachtsman, Tony Bullimore, feared drowned after his boat capsized in the Southern Ocean, was found safe and well. He survived on "a little chocolate, water and sheer determination." A man after my own heart.
- Scientists in Scotland announced the birth of the world's first successfully cloned mammal, Dolly the sheep.
- The Chancellor, Gordon Brown, gave the Bank of England independence from political control.
- Diana, Princess of Wales, died after a car crash in Paris.
- The 21-year-old golfing sensation Eldrick "Tiger" Woods became the youngest-ever player to win the US Masters Championships.
- Scotland voted decisively for home rule in a referendum on how they want the country to be governed.
- Thousands of lorries were at a standstill in France as striking French drivers formed roadblocks around the country.
- Mother Teresa, the Nobel Peace Prize winner who devoted her life to helping the sick and the poor, has died at the age of 87.
- Michael Hutchence, the Australian rock star and front man of INXS was found dead in a hotel room in Sydney.
- The sponsorship of sports events by tobacco firms was outlawed.
Ten lines of Tennyson
- I am a part of all that I have met;
- Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
- Gleams that untravell'd world, whose margin fades
- For ever and for ever when I move.
- How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
- To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!
- As tho' to breathe were life. Life piled on life
- Were all too little, and of one to me
- Little remains: but every hour is saved
- From that eternal silence, something more, a bringer of new things.
When I was 10.